Archive for the ‘Provincial’ Category
Referees 11th October: All aspiring TOUCH referees and those needing a refresher or players wanting to branch into refereeing we are staging our “On The Job” training on SUNDAY 11th October at Fearon Park in Mt Roskill.
We will run 2 sessions on the day: Session 1: 9am – 12:pm and Session 2: 12pm to 3pm. Bring a whistle and an open mind and you can learn how to be a great module referees under guidance of some of nZ’s best referees coaches!
Coaching: Wed 7th October: Take the next step to becoming an awesome in-schools coach. Learn how to deliver engaging touch and turbo touch sessions. Improve your rules knowledge and learn concepts about developing referees
Learn more about AWHI, TouchFit 360 and NCEA rubric support
Fine tune your delivery skills and have a whole heap of fun!
Touch New Zealand Head Office – THE TRUSTS ARENA, 65-67 CENTRAL PARK DRIVE, HENDERSON -9am-4pm
We have been pleasantly surprised by the slight tweak in the government guidelines for playing sport in Level 2. (Previously SOCIAL DISTANCING was an absolute at level 2 and therefore playing a contact sport such as Touch was out of the equation).
Today Government relaxed their guidelines to say that Contact sport was permissible, as long as a a host of other factors were taken care. CLICK HERE
Luckily TOUCHRUGBY boasts quite a comprehensive “player register system” that we will be strictly ENFORCED. Only registered players will be allowed to play in a team and Referees will be equipped with ALL players to be contact traced. We will also take strict measures to ensure that equipment and the venues we play at are heavily sterilized.
SUNDAY TOUCH at COXES BAY IS NOW LOOKING AT STARTING ON SUNDAY 24th May (Followed by a Queens B’day Weekend Break) and then resumption of competition proper from Sunday 8th June.
MONDAY NIGHT NEWMARKET TOUCH IS LOOKING AT A MONDAY 18th MAy start or failing this a 25th MAY Start
TOUCHRUGBY is once again pushing hard to grow and promote the beloved game to the Juniors of Auckland. Its about kids “running with the ball in hand” and off course keeping off their devices!
We have a special, low cost, school-based Junior Touch competition model that works well for kids and their busy parents. Our competitions are played in TERM 4 and TERM 1 of the regular school year. They are run in 2 7-week seasons. Kids, through motivated parents, coaches and teachers are grouped into their school years (and not age or weight). TouchRugby does all the admin of each competition but likes to partner with the LOCAL rugby clubs who are only too happy to allow use of their club rooms and facilities. Of course Auckland council, certainly comes to the party by providing well-marked, safe and sports grounds free of charge.
Depending on the location, Touch Rugby can charge between $30 to 40 per child per 7 week season, which as far as kids sports goes is very reasonable. We provide referees and a comprehensive draws and results package, trophies and of course official pathways for the talented and ambitious players to represent their Province!
Kids are encouraged to get together with school mates to enter. If their school does not play TOUCH or don’t promote the sport, Kids can ask their Winter sports mates (Rugby, Soccer, Netball etc) to group together and enter. Finally, and not without a lot of extra hours spent, individuals can be teamed up with other to form composite teams.
Once a team is formed, kids simply arrive and play their weekly fixture. Kids in school years 1-4, play 5-aside and are allowed a coach on the field at any time. A dropped ball or forward pass only counts as a TOUCH and not a turnover. Kids from year 5-8 will play proper FIT touch rules. The really talented children are also welcome to attend trials for one of the 3 Super City – Auckland, North Harbour or Counties Touch Associations.
Our 4 competitions are as follows
North West – Massey RFC – Wednesday Afternoons – Moire Park – $250 per team – Click Here
Mt Roskill / Sandringham – EDEN RUGBY CLUB – Wednesday Afternoons – Fearon Park – $260 per team – Click Here
Orakei Domain – Eastern Bays – GRAMMAR-TEC – Thursday Afternoon – Orakei Domain – $250 per team – Click Here
Onehunga – TEPAPAPA – TePapapa Tigers Rugby – Friday Afternoon – Fergusson Park – $200 per team – Click Here
Fullers has agreed to sponsor 20% off all Ferry Tickets for the Waiheke tournament to be played on the 10th Feb. They will also be sponsoring Free of Charge tickets for referees and administrators, helping the organisers to stage the event annually!
Even though they are extremely busy over the weekend period in February, the Tournament which boast over 300 players attending from Auckland, creates heaps of Travellers and booking for the Ferry company on the Early morning 8:30am Ferry.
For players, supporters interested in enjoying the saving, use the following Promotional code when making a BOOKING – FULLERSTOUCH. It is available for use from Feb 9 to Feb 10 noon.
Remember there is still a transfer cost / bus ticket of $5 each way once you arrive at Matiatia. This is for the 20 minute bus trip accross the Island to get to the Onetangi Sports park.
At TouchRugby.co.nz we like to be practical and we strive to offer “meaningful competition” to all its paying teams and players. We see ourselves being successful, if our teams have a good run and come back the following season. We pay an enormous amount to be affiliated, we apply FIT rules for the most part, we support and develop referees, players and the youth however only 1 thing allows us to do this, the PAYING customer!!
Sometimes this is like making a rod for our own backs, because our formats and rulings are varied, within grades, across competitions and in some instances for certain teams. It means that as organizers we have to try a little harder, communicate a little more, and the lines can sometimes be a bit grey. For now, this is how we choose to operate and let me explain what this means…
1: Formats will vary: We put creating grades of “equal strength” above keeping a rigid format of 6 or 8 in a grade.It means we can have as many as 12 teams in a section if they are teams are even, or 4 or 5 teams. This means some grades have to play a single round, others double round, some quarters, other straight knock out.
2: Mixed Rules: We know finding an equal amount of females as men can deter MIXED teams from entering, so in certain grades and competitions we play a ratio of 4 guys : 2 girls on the field and others 3 : 3. Our A grade (or elite grades) tend to be 3-3 and the more social ones 4-2.
3: * We allow competent Children to play in Social Mixed competitions. Boys under 12 can play as females in Mixed Grades. **
4: * We do allow competent Females to play in the MEN’s grade **
5: Mixed Grades: Particularly in Smaller competitions, or where for instance we are trying to grow the FEMALE game, we allow MIXED teams, women’s teams and even Youth teams to participate in the same grade. We might even allocate additional points for female’s scoring tries. Once again, this is how we choose to operate, and if we feel that it causes our teams NOT to enjoy their experience,we retain the right to change or amend our stance.
* Under no circumstances do we expect the opposition team’s Adults in point 3 above and the Men in point 4 above, to treat these Kids and females ANY DIFFERENTLY. Teams choosing to field children and females cannot in any way expect them to be treated differently. If this is your expectation then DO NOT play such individuals out of grade. No snide or sarcastic remarks, physical or verbal abuse will be tolerated (defending said children and women) when an adult or male might Touch them too hard etc. Simply remove them from the field.
** If our referee feels that the said “female or under-age player” is not competent enough or is in imminent danger of being harmed or effecting the nature of the game, the referee has sole discretion NOT to allow that person to play.
As as service to our Touch community, lonely hearts and people with no mates (jokes) we do accept individuals at certain venues where there is capacity. So whatever reason you no longer have a full team,be it that…
- You are new to the CITY?
- Your old Team is not longer playing!
- You want to Play more than once a week!
- You want to Play in Winter & Play Indoors (Turbo)
- Want to join and Over 35’s / Womens team
- You are the parent of a Budding Junior player
- Your friends play Soccer
CLICK HERE to ENTER
TOUCH ENTRIES ARE OPEN FOR SUMMER 2017-2018
All our favourite Auckland and West Auckland venues are open for ENTRY. We take teams in all shapes and sizes so get your WORK MATES, your Social Netball team or better still your entire family and jump into a Touch comp near you. There is something for everyone
- Cost Effective Touch – Mt Roskill – $550 Massey – $450 per team*
- Corporate Touch – Victoria Park – Companies only – $750
- Elite Touch – COXES Bay Westmere – $650 per team*
- Junior Touch – Sandringham and Massey – $260 and $220 per team
- Masters Touch – Massey (Wed) $450* and Sandringham (Thurs) $600
- Social Mixed – Mt Roskill $550, Massey Thursday $450*
- Touch in the South – Auckland Airport – $400
- Lunch Time touch – Vic Park $400
- Individual Entries – Massey (Thurs), Sandringham (Tues), Mt Roskill (Wed) – $85 per person
- Turbo Touch – Monday nights – Vic Park – Outdoor and very social!
- * = Additional referees fees per game
Click On our list of Venues to find you Best location! – Click Here
For Detailed Information – Click here
Ready to ENTER – Click Here
April is upon us and Summer Touch is a thing of the past as we all switch to Winter Codes, the couch, more sugary coffee and meat pies…
…. Don’t go to the dark side… stay active, keep fit and “STAY IN TOUCH”
Here is how to stay connected with the OVAL ball through the next 6 months
#1: Coxes Bay Winter Touch. Starts Sunday 7th May – Space limited to 48 teams so Hurry Hurry to be part of Auckland Best 16 week competition. Click Here
There is a grade for all teams – Mens, Mixed, Womens and Social. Weather is very settled earlier in the morning. We have cancelled just once in 2 years.
#2: Monday Newmarket Touch – **** Full – Too Late *** – You can play TURBO TOUCH at St Peters (Newmarket) if you get in today – Click Here
#3: CORPORATE LUNCH TIME TOUCH (8 weeks) – VIC PARK: Starts Thursday 4th May – Who can’t find 35 minutes during lunch on Thursday. Click Here
#4: Turbo Touch
Monday Newmarket: 3rd April (12 weeks) 3 spots Left Hurry Hurry– Click here
Tuesday North Shore: 2nd May (11 weeks) 7 Spots left Hurry Hurry – Click Here
Friday Waitakere Trusts: 28th April (10 Weeks) – Still Space – Click Here
#5: Women: We have a Women’s only grade at Coxes Bay at 10am each Sunday – Click here if you are an individual female looking to play.
#7: Over 35’s: Too Old to play league or Rugby, jump in with the OLD Boys Sunday Coxes Bay . Enter as an individual or better still your whole team – click here
#8: Kids and Whanau: We certainly allow children and families to play in our Mixed Social Grade at Coxes Bay. Games take place around 12:15pm each Sunday. Team entries only – Bring your mom , Dad, Aunty and Uncle for a game of social touch. Boys u12 count as females in the mixed category.
Thats all for now – Emaill, Txt or call if you need any information or would like to give feedback.
Graeme and the Team
At TOUCHRUGBY.co.nz we love the sport of TOUCH and spent countless hours developing and promoting it. We believe TOUCH is a mass participation sport and that promoting bigger and better competitions is the best way forward.
We are structured as a commercial business and cant hide from that fact, however our outcomes are the most noble of any sports administration body. At the height of summer we provide weekly games of touch for close to 450 teams, more than most well-funded sports federations and all done without a single cent contribution from any agency or funder. As an organisation we are proudly affiliated to our National and Regional Sports organisation and pay sizable affiliation fees to 3 Touch provinces and the National Body. We pay hefty PAYE, Income Tax and GST bills and we pay all this happily because we know what wonderful facilities we play on and importantly the pathways that belonging to legitimate sports codes brings.
As an organisation we strive to be innovative, provide friendly referees at well managed and located venues around Auckland. In addition to the weekly touch competitions we promote fun, one-off Tournaments such as the “proud to play” and Waiheke Social Touch competition. We dabble in modified versions of the sport such as Turbo Touch and Tag, only as far as it give our teams something NEW in a competitive social sports market. We are owner-managed, with a great IT backbone to support team captains, who are the cornerstone of our business. We are not scared to try new playing surfaces, new formats of the game and rule variations, draw formats that encourage like vs like participation. We are constantly trying to give more accessibility to women, children, over 35’s, corporates and even the elite Teams!
We make mistakes all the time, but own up to them and try to improve when we can!
As we come to the end of Summer, when the focus tends to shift from participation to winning we get asked by a few teams about the way we do things!
- Why is Touch so expensive?
- We want prize-money?
- Better teams should get better prizes!
- Surely A grade teams are more important!
Here are some of our perspectives and practices in this regard.
- TOUCH is cheap. Per game played, per minute of organised exercise or recreation I challenge anyone to find a cheaper alternative. I am referring to “organised” sport and not volunteer, charity or sponsor driven recreation.
- TouchRugby.co.nz has competitions across Auckland that vary between $2-$5 per person per game. Our Central venues are more expensive, but a little further out, touch can be played significantly less money.
- TOUCHRUGBY has NOT INCREASED FEES at major competitions for 3-4 years. Winter, Coxes Bay, Massey, Juniors.
- We PAY referees and would happily train and PAY any players who could not afford their fees.
- We do “SPEND” significant money on Prizes. We budget 7% of our turnover for Prizes. We work harder to increase that value of those prizes to 10-14% of our Turnover. We do this through barter deals and discounts with our sponsors.
- We do value our Elite teams. We acknowledge that they do set the tone of the competition as they provide examples of the beauty of the game of Touch, that training and hard work delivers results. Without watching these teams, social teams could never understand the value of patterns, settles and set moves.
- Their passion for the sport and countless hours away from our competition IS possibly the most valuable to us. That is where the deliver their true value, however it is a little known fact that elite teams on a competition / module level Elite teams cost us a lot more than our lovable loser teams!
- Elite teams are demanding and rightly so. They get the fastest and most reliable referees, very often 2 of them.
- They tend to get the preferential fields because elite touch requires full width and length.
- We discount their multiple team entry as a way of saying thank-you, but in terms of business outgoings they are paying less per game.
- ELITE teams invariably WIN, receiving prizes and sizable discounts off future participation.
- Unfortunately, and it is a consequence we accept, they cause many of our lovable loser teams to drop out. It is merely a fact that, on the whole teams losing more games than they win over the season are likely to not ENJOY themselves as much and might chose a different recreation alternative.
So the long and short of it is… We Love our Lovable Loser teams as much as our Elite teams and will continue to award equal prizes!
We are giving “Autumn” Lunch time Touch a crack.
There will be a grade for Mens and Mixed teams and the competition is set to start on Thursday afternoon – 4th May.
It will be an 8-Week competition before the Windy rainy winter sets in. Games will be played over 35 minutes at 12:15, 12:50 and 13:15 respectively. Teams can expect an even rotation around these times.
The costs for the 8 week season is $400 per team. We will be taking individuals entries too, so if your entire team cant make it that is OK, we will put you in a team.